Monday, June 27, 2011

Scout Camp (Again)...

This summer officially marks the fifth summer of scout camping. When I started spending my summers doing this it was really a way to not spend the summer between semesters living at home. And because of that I met my husband...And now five years later he works for the scouts. So it appears that there will never be an end to me working at summer camp. I mean, sure its nice to have the extra money, but its really hard to do this job when my heart isn't in it. I am tired of camp. And it is really sad to go home on Saturday and see our poor yard looking awful. The grass is green and the flowers are growing, but neither Jake or myself have the energy to weed or prune. Its so sad because we worked so hard to get it looking better. But now it has almost gone to waste. I miss our house and everything about being at home. It is making camp extremely difficult.
Even though it is hard for me to be here, I am learning a ton. Jake and I got assigned to this camp kind of late in the game, and neither of us had really been here or knew very many of the staffers. So we are kind of letting them do things their way this summer. Which has been interesting. I am learning a lot about which management tactics are the most successful. Mainly listening to suggestions and following up on promises. I am trying to focus on the boys that come each week so I don't kill anyone up here. Its kind of funny to hang out with 12 year old boys. I am thinking I should probably write down all of the great pickup lines I hear and sell it in a book or something. At any rate, at least they entertain me :)

No comments: