Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Political Rant: A Clarification

After my previous blog post, I have faced a lot of heat in regards to my political affiliation. I have been accused of horrible things. I have been called horrible things. And I am left wondering how any person can think it is appropriate to publicly attack another individual because of their views, regardless of what they are. It is ironic that people may know me for years, but the moment they discover one tiny fact of who I am, their opinion of me can change in a matter of seconds.
Is it Christlike to call a child of God awful things merely because of the way they voted? How is it appropriate to belittle, demean, berate, and attack an individual because they voted for Mitt Romney or Barack Obama? How can you accuse another individual of being uneducated on their vote when you have no idea how much research they have put into their votes?
I believe in respect. I believe that no individual is better than the next. Circumstances may vary, but Christ sees us all as equal human beings. We all come from the same place. We each face different trials that others don't even see or cannot understand. I believe that we need to be informed on every issue on the ballot. I believe that difference of opinion is what makes democracy function. I believe that a one party system (regardless of which party) is a failure to each American. The point of democracy is to hear both sides of the issue and to make compromises.
I will never disrespect another individual because they have voted differently than I. I may express my difference of opinion, but I will never accuse another individual of being uneducated, foolish, or flat out stupid. Our views may vary, but I trust that you, like me, have studied out candidates and issues and that you feel comfortable with the choices that you have made. I will never attack you or bully you for being different. I will never feel a need to 'educate' you on the truth.
I am more than happy to share my views with others. I am more than happy to hear the views of others. But I refuse to stand here  quietly while being attacked because of the conclusions I have made and the vote I have cast. The things I have seen on Facebook in the past few weeks, from both parties, make me sick. Would you really say what you have written to a person's face? Do you really think everyone who has voted for Romney doesn't understand women's rights? Do you really think that everyone who does vote for Romney is racist?
I understand that I live in a state where my view is a minority. I can understand that I am going to see support for candidates that I may not agree with. I do not understand how any individual can think it is okay to verbally attack another individual for different thoughts. How is it okay that one individual expressing so many of their constitutional rights is attacked for voting for what they believe in? Isn't that exactly what you are doing? Why bash on others for doing exactly what you are doing?

No comments: